The purpose of this practice is to increase in the fisherman a greater respect for the life of the fish being caught and to incorporate a greater sense of environmental ethics. In addition, it is used as a management tool that guarantees sustainable use, the biological continuity of the species and the improvement of fishing quality.
To reduce aggression and mortality when releasing captured pieces, the following steps should be followed:
– Avoid bringing fish to the exhaustion level and do not delay release.
– Use the most resistant nylon possible, to get the fish out quickly.
– Use hooks without barbs or with the barbs crushed.
– Avoid removing it from the water.
– Touch it as little as possible and never touch the gills.
– When freeing it, hold it in front of the current, until it escapes by its own means.